Back to the blog after a weekend of R&R. Caught up with my good friend Sarah Palm and helped her put the finishing touches on her apartment, which she turned back over to her landlord yesterday. Yet another friend who has moved away in the last month? It's a little bit uncanny how all my friends are leaving SB these days... :( She's moved back to the Bay area to live at home and go back to school and I'm excited for her. Just more than a little sad that I have one less friend to call up on the fly and go for a walk with... Meh.


Sorry about my last post. What a crummy day! I was bummed because I had a less-than-productive visit with my doctor. I've been having a lot of back pain, and she does an x-ray and then tells me, because of my health insurance, the only person that can see me for this type of thing is a NEUROSURGEON. Um? Last time I checked the word "neurosurgeon" connotes, ahem, SURGERY. Which I do NOT need. And to even to get in to see this guy I would have to do a CT scan, which involves having barium juice injected into my spinal column with a gigantic hypodermic needle, much like an epidural. To that that I say, "No, thank you." And so I return to popping ALEVE caplets by myself while googling spinal therapy exercises. Will I continue to self-medicate? Yep.


Since I've posted two negative things, I'm going to post two positive things. I'm listening to the "Slumdog Millionaire" soundtrack, which is AWESOME! Most of it is crazy techno with people singing in Hindi, which as you know, is right up my alley. I heart Bollywood. I've been dying to see this movie ever since I heard there was a dance scene at a Mumbai train station involving 1,000 dancers. Um. I'm amazed, and I haven't even seen it.



--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Also, I had a piece run in the Independent this week! Fun! It's good to see my name in print again... :D


Which leads me to the big news... I HAVE A JOB! Yay!!! As of Wednesday, I'll be the newest reporter with Noozhawk, an online news source that covers Santa Barbara, Goleta and Carpinteria. I am so excited to be a part of the team. I start the day after tomorrow, so I will let everyone know how things go. I feel like it's a great move since Noozhawk is one of three companies in all of California that are doing what they're doing: Being a local newspaper, without paper, online. Imagine that! I feel like this is the model newspapers will wake up and realize is the only way journalism can survive in a new era, but only after they implode and file for bankruptcy. It feels like every day, I wake up and read about another newspaper casualty. Today I read that the LA Times company is about to give another 300 employees the axe. It's looking pretty scary out there, folks, and the industry has got to do something different to survive. Anyhoo, I feel pretty honored to be a part of the team. :)

Hearts!

3 comments:

KateLouise said...

so, I think you are lovely and wonderful and awesome. Of course I am attending your party on Saturday and will look forward to sharing a pretty incredible bottle of Wine i found at the Wine Hound... my new favorite wine place. It reminds me of my days at Wine Cask without all the horrible flash backs! ;)

PS- WE NEED TO SEE SLUM-DOG MILLIONAIRE TOGETHER! I have wanted to see this film forever. We should make a date, and see if this wonderful guy named Casey would want to join us =)
kisses,
~K

Zak Landrum said...

Congrats on the new job!!! That is so fantastic!

Anonymous said...

Have a great first day!