WARNING: Nerdy Post Ahead...

Made trip to the library for an assignment last night and arrived early, so I decided to peruse the shelves. I'm becoming a little bit of personal finance nerd lately and have been reading all I can about the things I'm most interested in, mostly paying off debt, saving and investing, and small business advice. In my quest to become more financially literate, I've picked up all the big names: Suze Orman, Dave Ramsey, etc. There are also a heap of books I've had recommended to me, either via blog or by a friend that I've heard some hype about and have been meaning to check out. One of those books is "Rich Dad, Poor Dad" by Robert Kiyosaki. After reading Trent's review of the book over at "The Simple Dollar," which is quickly becoming one of my favorite PF blogs, I decided to check it out. I'm already halfway through it, and I'm still on the fence. I can't decide if what he's saying is right on or if it's a gross oversimplification of how and why some people choose to work for a living.

Here's Trent's review:
http://www.thesimpledollar.com/2007/04/07/review-rich-dad-poor-dad/

Reading all these books about money is totally foreign to me, honestly, and if I spend too much time reading blogs or books like this, I start to feel a little...dirty. Haha. I want to be purposeful and a good steward of what I have, but thinking about it so much that it starts becoming my number one priority is what scares me about some of the books I've read. That having money is not a means to an end, but the end in itself, and so many of these books have some great advice, but completely lack biblical perspective, which treats money as just a thing. In that vein, I'm reading Dave Ramsey's "Total Money Makeover," which is pretty basic, but still has some good advice. (Mainly, I just like reading the sidebars about Mary and John Smith from Duluth that have had like, a gazillion dollars in debt, but are all paid off. Yeah! It gets me pumped to pay off my measly credit card.)

Here are some recommendations of books I'm a big fan of right now:




And some books on my list I think are worth looking into...



Feel free to comment and let me know if there are any other cool money books I should look into!

0 comments: