Free time? PSYCHE...

The great thing about not having a job for a while is being able to do the things you've wanted to but have been unable to. A list of things I've done this week? Why sure...

-Volunteered to work at Fairview Gardens, an urban, organic farm here in town

-Took a giant box of food to the Foodbank. (Which everyone should do! They'll be accepting holiday donations until Dec. 31st...)

-Made a new kind of bread that turned out AMAZING. I used buttermilk? Which initially grossed me out, but I can remember both of my grandmothers cooking with it, so I kept on. Man, am I glad I did!

-Made Christmas presents for my mom and Casey's parents

-Bought a christmas tree at Art from Scrap for 50 cents and turned our apartment into a winter wonderland! Not really, but it definitely looks more festive now

-Hung out with friends on weeknights (!)

-Helped a new friend pack up her things for her move to Boston next week...


This last one was probably the most rewarding. Yesterday, I met my new friend Erin at her house and we jumped in my car to go dumpster dive downtown for some boxes. We found a dumpster full of clean, almost new boxes outside of Staples (thank you Lord!) and went back to her house to pack for the next few hours. I met her and reconnected this Fall and she is a keeper. :) We're still brand new at being friends, but yesterday was great. I watched her pack up her life and did the best I could to help set up boxes and wrap up breakables. She'll be moving to Boston in next week or so, and I'll be the first to admit that I'm living a little bit vicariously through her. Watching her throw things out, simplify her life and prepare for this big giant step of moving thousands of miles away makes me so excited because I remember how rewarding my own move out to California was last year. We sold most of my things in a garage sale, packed up the mini-van with what we could fit inside it and set off across the country. I love the adventure of moving and the challenge (and reward) of starting over, and the faith it conjures up. It takes a lot of guts to do that, a lot of bravery. I don't think she reads this blog, but I'm proud of you, Erin. The adventure is always worth it. :)

-------

I've got some random errands to take care of (Christmas presents!!!) but tonight is the Mercury Lounge's christmas party!!! If you're in town, come to Old Town around 7 and get free barbeque! Woot! I'm sure it'll be wimpy California barbeque (HA), but you know.. I LOVE this season!

I love you all, and I'm going to be better about blogging. I thought I would have so much time, but it's getting filled up, with GREAT things luckily. :)

Peace and joy!
L

0 comments: