Return of the megabats...

Wow, busy week! Phew. I feel like I always say that on here. The truth is, if you're in any kind of journalism at this point in an election year, your work life is crazy chaotic. It feels like there's about 1,234,568 different races going on locally, all of them at least marginally important, and that means our grossly understaffed little paper is working overtime.

I'm also jumping at the chance to do a story NOT election based, even if it is science-y and nerdy. I'm meeting with someone from UCSB who researches bat species here in Goleta. That's right, BATS. Apparently, Santa Barbara has 12 different native species! Wow. I'm trying to prepare some questions for her, because I know NOTHING about bats (Except that I'm mildly terrified of anything that flies frantically at night and screeches) and I found out there's a subgroup of them called "megabats," and there's one type in the Phillipines called a giant golden-crowned flying fox that can have a 5-foot wingspan! EEP! Seriously, google it. I'm going to have nightmares. Needless to say, this will be interesting...


Also, Case's "Othello" premiere is tonight!!!!! YAY! Here's the lineup with more info, if anyone is interested in coming! Yippee!

http://www.litmoon.com/lineup08.html

0 comments: