Back to Mississippi...

Sorry for the long hiatus in posting. My poor, emaciated little blog needs some attention! For real. This week has been such a whirlwind of emotion, I'm glad to finally be able to sit down and process...

After spending nearly a week fighting off the flu, I got a call Saturday night from my parents. They told me my grandmother had been found in her home that day and she'd suffered a stroke and was unconscious. She'd been taken to the local hospital and my parents would be driving to Mississippi, where she was, the next day. The news was a total surprise and I was really torn up by the news. We still had hope that she'd be alright and I waited over the weekend to hear from them.

When they arrived the next day, they called me and gave me an update on how bad the situation was. My grandmother had very little brain activity subsequent the stroke and was now on life support. The next morning when the whole family had arrived, my mom and her brother had to make the gut-wrenching decision to take her off of the life support. It was really rough for our whole family. So I scheduled a flight as soon as I could and have been hanging out with my family these last few days, trying to be helpful (but mostly getting in the way, I think) as we tried to go through some of her things at her house.

We've been so busy trying to make arrangements and get things done that I don't really feel like I've had time to process it. This year, I've lost two people I really cared about, both of my grandmothers, and these are really the first deaths in my life I've dealt with. And it's hard. I'm a pretty emotional person, (I prefer to think I have an "artistic temperament" :) and I've cried a lot for their losses.

Anyway, sorry to be a downer... Meh. Life really is good, and God has been good to my family to keep us all together during this craziness. Still, death isn't any less hard to deal with, even though I know my grandmother is in a better place altogether.

Prayers appreciated, my friends. Blessings to all of you. I'll update with more cheerful life events soon, I promise!

Happy Saturdays,
L

2 comments:

Kara Pyo said...

I've been thinking about this quote a lot lately:

In this crazy world, there’s an enormous distinction between good times and bad, between sorrow and joy. But in the eyes of God, they’re never separated. Where there is pain, there is healing. Where there is mourning, there is dancing. Where there is poverty, there is the kingdom. --Henri Nouwen

I love that our God is close to the brokenhearted.

I'm praying for you friend.

Lara said...

Wow, Kara, that quote is incredible! Thank you so, so much. :)